Hagbourne is an attractive small village about two miles south
of the expanding town of Didcot in South Oxfordshire and separated
from the southern edge of the town by open farmland. This open
farmland has until recently officially been protected from development
by the planners but unfortunately this protection has now been
To see a map showing exactly where the village is click the
Bing maps link and zoom out to show West Hagbourne instead of
proximity to Didcot, West Hagbourne is a rural village and there
are several active farms within the parish. Tractors and other farm
vehicles are seen daily as they pass through and the village has
a number of attractive old houses, several of which are listed.
The oldest house in the village is the house at York Farm, parts
of which are thought to date from 1264/65. The house is architecturally
important as one of the earliest complete timber-framed houses to
survive in England, although unfortunately many of the early features
were destroyed when the house was 'modernised' in the seventeenth
or eighteenth century. However much of the original timber framing
does still remain. Running the length of the village is West
Hagbourne Conservation Area, and in the heart of the village
is a village duck pond. The attractive brick bus shelter is the
village's war memorial.
At the extreme
western edge of the village is the village pub, the Horse and Harrow.
Morlands, the former Abingdon brewery, started their brewing in
nearby West Ilsley in 1796, and the Horse and Harrow is interesting
as it was one of the very first pubs owned by Morlands. In
fact the history of West Hagbourne dates back to the days of King
Alfred and the village is mentioned in the Domesday
Book. At various times since 1803 bronze and iron age and Romano
British artifacts have been found in chalk pits on nearby Hagbourne
Hill. The original bronze and iron age artifacts, mainly axe and
spear heads, horse bits, etc. are known as The Hagbourne Hoard and
these are permanently displayed in the British Museum. The later
Romano British finds were items such as pottery and coins.
and look at our attractive village and perhaps try one of the nature
walks. The pictures of village scenes were taken by local photographers.